Today is our 15th Wedding Anniversary. I was thinking about why this relationship has lasted and others in my past have not. Here is my conclusion:
1. We made a pact early on to stay open to each others passions. That means Al goes to concerts and the theater with me, and I do his outdoor stuff. Make this a ground rule forever.
2. Understand financial goals, spending habits, investment risk parameters and more. The #1 reason relationships fall apart is financial problems. Have ongoing, open conversations about money.
3. Don’t have knock down, drag out fights. Learn how to manage your own anger and train yourself how to listen and communicate. Good ideas for managing difficult situations and people can be found in Toxic People.
4. Never try to change another person. It does not work, but does make for great first marriages. Most people can’t even change themselves!
5. Make the relationship more about them, and less about you. Seriously, this is a real key!
Here’s to our celebration!
â€œSilence is Golden â€“ Duct Tape is Silver.â€