If you don’t follow what Jeff Bezos, tech’s leading philosopher and Amazon’s CEO is doing, you should. Other leaders have stated the simple principles for centuries but he is actually acting on each. One of my favorite principles he has is how to deal with stress: “Laugh a lot.” Read the Forbes article for more.
Here are the five winning principles that every leader and employee should focus on every day – whether at work or at home.
- Treat every person as a customer. It’s what they want and need, not what you want to give.
- Choose to provide feedback by sharing what went right, and what can be changed for next time. Coulda and shoulda are not part of effective feedback and only create barriers and poor attitudes.
- Manage toxic behavior and difficult people by not becoming one. You choose to stay calm and you choose what comes out of your mouth. No one ‘makes’ you do anything.
- If you don’t have the information you need, ask. People are not mind readers. Dig deeper, clarify and ask questions because it is part of your job.
- Communicate well by learning to listen effectively. Turn off the self-talk, responses and don’t let your mind wander. It is how you expect others to give you.
And remember – a positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will tick off enough people to make it worth the effort!